There are currently over 2700 Physician Assistants in Maryland.
The average PA sees 61-70 patients per week. Who are they?
- 20.7% of the patients are Medicaid beneficiaries
- 30.5% of the patients are Medicare beneficiaries
- 13.0% of the patients are dual-eligible
- 18.9% of the patients are uninsured
- 9.5% of the patients live in rural settings
What specialties are the PAs employed in?
- 26.0% - Primary Care (this includes 12.9% in Family Medicine as well as General Internal Medicine, General Pediatrics, OB/GYN)
- 25.7% - Surgical Subspecialties
- 21.3% - Other Subspecialties
- 15.9% - Emergency Medicine
- 9.9% - Internal Medicine Subspecialties
- 0.9% - Pediatric Subspecialties
Where do the PAs work?
- 50.4% - Hospital Settings (this includes 14.4% in Emergency Departments as well as Inpatient and Outpatient Units, Operating Room, Intensive/Critical Care Unit)
- 28.2% - Physician Groups and Solo Practice
- 17.1% - Other Settings
- 2.4% - Community Health Center
- 0.3% - Certified Rural Health Clinics
Source: 2013 AAPA Annual Survey
Percentages many not total 100% due to a small number of nonresponses.